Last week, we looked at career marketing strategies for job seekers. This week, we’ll look practical tips to help sustain focus during the search. Bridget Haymond put together most of the practical tips. I added a few and Voila! You’ve got great ideas to keep things moving forward.
Practical tips for job seekers
1. Keep busy and get as much physical exercise as possible. Keeping fit physically is good for your general health and is a great way to de-stress and clear you head. If you don’t belong to a gym, walking, bike riding, running and swimming are all great ways to keep physically fit.
2. Use your down time to tackle projects you had been putting off or didn’t have time to do before. Re-organize a closet, clean out the garage or clear out a storage unit. You can then have a garage sale or donate items to charity. Either way you’ll feel a great sense of accomplishment.
3. Stay connected and don’t allow yourself to become isolated. Staying in touch with friends and family is important. If your close friends and family live out of state or out of the country, be sure to stay in touch by phone, e-mail or talk for free on your computer using a program called Skype.
4. Volunteer for one of your favorite charities or service organizations. Doing something for those who are less fortunate is a great way to keep a positive attitude and share your gifts and talents with others. This is also a great way to keep from being isolated.
5. A change of scenery can bring a fresh perspective. It’s easy to feel trapped in the same four walls while you are between interviews or waiting for a call back. Go to a place that has free Wi-Fi and conduct your research and job search from a remote location.